Our Parishes‎ > ‎

Falfield

History of St. George's Church

Built 1859-60 by S.W. Daukes of Gloucester, St George's Church is a Grade II Listed Building. Its construction was paid for in the most part by Sir George Samuel Jenkinson, 11th Baronet (27 September 1817 – 19 January 1892), a British Conservative politician who lived at nearby Eastwood Park.

St. George's has a high-pitched roof, surmounted by a bell tower with open belvedere. The windows either side of the nave are double lancet with centrally positioned pointed quatrefoils above each pair. These
windows contain good Victorian stained glass. The octagonal font of Bath stone was a gift of Anthony Lyster of Dublin, the father of Lady Jenkinson. Memorials to the Jenkinson family can be found on the walls inside the church.



News

The next Sunday service in St. George's will be on September 13th 2020. Please see Home Page for important information about attendance.

As from July 15th St George's will be open for PRIVATE PRAYER on Wednesdays from 10am -12noon

Notices

Permission is being sought to carry out work in the churchyard in order to investigate and repair the drainage system, which at present appears blocked allowing water to fill the church cellar. The formal notice (faculty petition) can be accessed below.
Ċ
Stephen Youngs,
20 Aug 2020, 09:17